Crown Traverse: 600 Mile Mountain Journey
"This is our home. We are defined by the place in which we live. The Crown of the Continent. This region—encompassing over 18 million acres—is one of the largest remaining intact ecosystems on our continent. Spanning from southwest Montana, north through Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park and the Canadian Rockies, to Banff, Alberta, this rugged, wild and mountainous landscape is the setting that defines who we are, and why we love adventure in the mountains. Years of growing up and training in Montana’s vast landscapes have developed our mountain skill set for ultra-running. This has fostered our love of, and appreciation for, the mountains we live in and around. From this deep connection comes a passion to further explore, share and showcase our backyard–The Crown of the Continent." -Crown Traverse Crew
On September 15th, Mike Foote and Mike Wolfe, The North Face sponsored athletes, along with Steven Gnam, critically acclaimed international photographer, set off on a journey like no other. They strapped on their running shoes in Missoula, Montana and began their attempt at a minimally supported high mountain 600 mile traverse of the Crown region with the goal of finishing in Banff, Alberta. The runners look to:
- Travel light and fast through the Crown's rugged and remote mountain landscape, along a route that has never been conceived or attempted, in a purist mountain running style.
- Bring awareness to the importance of preserving one of the largest contiguous ecosystems in the United States and highlight importance of its wilderness and local cultures.
- Immerse in the landscape and deepen connection with the Crown region through exploration.
Enjoy glimpses of some of the region's most spectacular scenery and mountain cultures by searching #CrownTraverse on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Click here to track the progress of runners via Crown Traverse GPS Locator.
Friday, November 18, 2016- (7:00-8:30 pm)- Swan Valley Connections- Evening Program Series, Condon, MT Click here for more information.
Friday, November 4, 2016- (8:00 pm)- Banff Mountain Film Festival, Banff, AB
Thursday, October 13, 2016- Roundtable on the Crown of the Continent Conference, Fernie, B.C.
Friday, September 16, 2016 (7:00 pm)- Breckenridge Film Festival, Breckenridge, CO Click here for more information.
Thursday, August 25, 2016 (6:30 - 9:30 pm)- Crown Traverse: The North Face Speaker Series Minneapolis, MN Click here for more information.
Wednesday, August 24, 2016 (6:30 - 9:30 pm)- Crown Traverse: The North Face Speaker Series Chicago, IL Click here for more information.
Tuesday, August 23, 2016 (8:00 pm)- Crown Traverse: The North Face Speaker Series Berklee, Boston, MA Click here for more information
Tuesday, May 24, 2016 (6:30 pm - 9:00 pm)- MCT Center for Performing Arts, Missoula, MT Click here for more information.
**Friday, November 6, 2015 (**6:00 pm - 8:00 pm)- Banff Centre Crown Traverse Presentation For tickets please call 1-866-551-2281. Ticket includes appetizers and 2 drinks per person. https://www.banffcentre.ca/events/crown-traverse
In the News:
- Flathead Living Fall 2017- A Crowning Achievement
- Kootenay Mountain Culture Magazine Summer 2016- Sole Brothers
- Gear Junkie- Where No One Has Gone Before: 600 Miles Across ‘Crown Of Continent’
- Chicago Athlete Magazine- The North Face Presents ‘The Crown Traverse’ in Chicago
- Trail Runner DIRT Magazine Issue 111/ April 2016
- Steven Gnam Photography- Crown Traverse Gallery
- Outside Online- 600-Mile Run Through the Mountains
- Trail Runner Magazine- Montana Trio Completes "Crown Traverse" From Missoula to Banff
- Flathead Living- A Wild Eye: The Photography and Outdoor Ethos of Steven Gnam
- Missoulian- Missoula Trio Completes Epic 600-Mile Crown of the Continent Traverse
- Ultrarunner Podcast- Mike Foote Interview- The Crown Traverse
- Rocky Mountain Outlook- Runners Conquer Crown of the Continent
- Missoulian- Trio launches Missoula-to-Banff traverse along Crown of the Continent
- Flathead Beacon- Traversing the Crown
- The North Face- Crown Traverse Dispatch
- Whitefish Pilot- Elite runners plan traverse from Missoula to Banff
- Hungry Horse News- Noted photographer running the Crown of the Continent
- Glacier Country Montana Blog by Tia- Crown Traverse: Follow the Journey In Montana and Alberta
- Montana Tourism Industry News- Runners to Traverse Crown of the Continent
- Ultrarunner Podcast-Mike Foote Interview- The Crown Traverse